Monday, July 27, 2009

a blog? by me?

i have found writing to be my weakest subject in school by far. odds are, this will be visible the more i write. my goal of writing as little as possible when it is not mandated for class has now run into the wall of a trip to africa, something that i have been asked about enough to know i need to chronicle it in some way. that being this blog i think.

i have been trying to find a way that i could take a trip to africa since my freshman year at baylor when i was introduced to invisible children and numerous other stories about what life was life in much of africa. many of my friends made trips over there, ben stayed for a semester, but i was caught in a situation that didnt allow any chance to take a trip. when i say "caught in a situation" that makes it sound bad, which isnt the case really. i had the privilage to play college baseball for baylor. however eventually it reached the point where i could no longer tell myself that baseball was more important than a trip like the one i am about to embark on, amoung other things.

my trip to nairobi, kenya has been planned for a year, but it never really consumed my mind due to all the other things i had going on. this summer was broken up into two sections for me- pre katie's wedding and post katie's wedding- and i never gave much thought to the second half of the summer. the last few weeks i have been thinking a lot about africa, getting shots, and trying to get the details worked out.

i really have no idea what im getting myself into. the closest iv been to nairobi has been a few videos watched, and some conversations with those who have been there before. possibly the most important thing about the trip is that i am not going alone, i know i wouldnt be able to handle that.

im just writing random stuff by this point. my life has no plans made past christmas. i have never had a good idea of what i want do, or an extended plan for my life, but as long as i was in college i had a few years of cushion. thats not the case anymore. i hope that my time in kenya will help me figure out where i want to go with my life, but i dont know anything for sure.

1 comment:

  1. wade i'm so excited for you! your 'semester' is going to be amazing, and you better keep up your blog or else...
    those of us stuck in america have to live vicariously through someone you know.

    ReplyDelete